Below is the most common ports for SQL Server services that may yon need
|SQL Server default instance port
|Dedicated Admin Connection port
|SQL Server Service Broker port
|Endpoint port communication AlwaysOn port
|AlwaysOn Listener port
|SQL Server Analysis Services
|SQL Server Browser Services
The database server is responsible for storing, maintaining, and fetching data for other server components and services.
Virtualization of the database server is not recommended. Reasons to avoid virtualizing the database server are as follows:
- Virtualization introduces latency downstream in the application and UI server components of a SharePoint farm. If every data request takes more time, the scenario quickly becomes a challenge, especially when a single transaction needs multiple round trips for completion.
- The database server experiences heavy CPU, memory, disk I/O, and NIC usage.
- If overall performance evaluation or virtual machines are not adequately specified, end users may experience slower response times and, in background processes, slower performance of long-running operations, which can increase operation timeouts.
for more details, visit this link [Page 24] http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19508
I followed the following steps to upgrad my SharePoint 2010 web application to SharePoint 2013 Preview:
- Backup SharePoint 2010 Content DB
- Restore it on SharePoint 2013 Preview SQL server 2012
- Run the command Mount-SPContentDatabase from PowerShell
- Browse my web application
- I found the following error
The context has expired and can no longer be used. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090317)
After that everything workfine.
Some times you need to set your sitecollection(s) as read-only, for example, before backup.
Via Central Admin:
- Go to Centeral Admin
- Application Management
- Site Collection Quotas and Locks
- Read-only (blocks additions, updates, and deletions)
Using SQL Server Database by setting the database as read-only.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio
- Right click on your site collection database and choose Properties
- Click on Options